Navigation Bar

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

What Makes a "Good Mom"?

So I know I might be getting myself into something I may not want to get into but this has been heavy on my thoughts so I felt like I needed to put it out there...
                         


What makes you a "good mom"? 

Well, let me tell you what I think doesn't make you a good mom.

It's not whether or not you breastfed or bottle fed, co-sleep or did sleep training in a crib. It's not whether you used cloth diapers or disposable. Whether you spank or not.  Whether you make your own baby food or buy the jar stuff, or if you choose to vaccinate or not.  

Whatever your opinion is on any of these subjects, that's great!  But as professing Christian moms we must be careful how we voice our opinions (myself included) about our choices in raising our kids. Because all these issues are important, but also very personal.  Each situation is unique and may have many layers of circumstances that you may not have any clue about. The guilt that some moms unknowingly put on other moms for not sharing their same passion on certain issues is very vast. 

So here's what I'm getting at, the heart of the matter...

ULTIMATELY I believe what makes you a good mom is this: 

Raising up little ones to be Jesus loving adults.

At the end of the day when we get to heaven, we won't be questioned on if we let our kids sleep in bed with us or not or if we let them suck on a pacifier or if we nursed them until they were three. But we will be questioned on if we loved our kids enough to live the life to the best of our ability as a godly example to our kids.  We will be questioned and judged by God on what we taught our kids about Jesus, faith, and His Holy Word.  Moms, let's remember that ultimately, THIS is what it's all about.  

Let's remember that as moms we're sisters in Christ.  We're in this together.  Let's love our kids and make the choices that work for each of us, individually, but support and encourage each other. 

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! I'm not a mom, but during college, I found a new appreciation for my parents. In high school, I was so mad that my parents made my curfew 10:30, that I didn't have a credit card like my friends, that I didn't get a new car at 16, etc. But I realized that my parents are the best parents in the world--not because of material possessions that they gave me, but because they're so supportive. Of course they taught me many other things, for which I am very grateful, but their unwavering support means the most to me!

    ReplyDelete